An easy, healthy, and quick late-spring asparagus soup topped with crunchy and cheesy croutons and bright lemon zest.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees for the croutons.
2. In a large dutch oven or saucepan, heat olive oil over low heat. Add chopped onions and sautée, stirring often until very soft, 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, chop tough ends off asparagus and discard. Cut stalks into 1 inch pieces.
4. Add garlic to pot and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant. Add chopped asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and saute until asparagus begin to soften, 5-6 minutes.
5. Increase heat to medium and add broth. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until asparagus is very soft. Meanwhile, makes the croutons below.
6. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until pureed. Season with additional black pepper, and stir in parmesan, cayenne, and white wine. Simmer for an additional 3-4 minutes.
7. Ladle in bowls and top with croutons, additional parmesan, lemon zest, and chives.
1. Slice sourdough into 1/2 inch cubes, toss with olive oil and spread on foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in oven until golden brown, tossing once partway through.
2. Add lemon zest and parmesan to a medium bowl. Remove croutons from oven and immediately toss in bowl until croutons are coated. Tent with foil to keep warm.