Cheese Sauce Pretzels with Grainy Mustard
Homemade pretzel tots, topped with a simple and sharp beer cheese, a grainy honey mustard, crispy bacon, and scallions - a more perfect appetizer couldn't exist!
Pretzels and Toppings
- 1 cup water warm (plus additional for boiling)
- 2 ¼ tsp yeast
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- 1/8 cup honey
- 2 pieces bacon, cooked, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
Beer Cheese Sauce
- 6 ounces cheddar, shredded
- 2 ounces gouda, shredded
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup lager
- ½ cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine warm water and yeast in a small bowl and leave in a warm spot for 5-7 minutes.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, yeast mixture, salt, sugar, and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Using the dough hook attachment, mix on low until combined. Once combined, increase speed to medium until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl, clean bowl and grease slightly with oil, then return dough to bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm spot for roughly 45 minutes.
- Bring 8 cups of water and baking soda to a rolling boil and grease 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Turn dough out onto counter and split into 4 pieces. Split each piece into 2 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a one-inch thick log. Place each pretzel on the baking sheet.
- Place each pretzel into the boiling baking soda water for 30 seconds then return to the baking sheet. Beat egg with 1 tablespoon water, then brush each pretzel.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and turn broiler on high. Once pretzels are cool, slice each log into one-inch bites. Place bake on baking sheet and broil until just lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, make the beer cheese. In a medium bowl, combine the shredded cheddar, gouda, and flour. Heat butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Pour lager into saucepan and bring to a low simmer. Add milk and remove from heat. Stir in cheese in batches, stirring between each addition.
- Combine the whole-grain mustard and the honey in a small bowl.
- Place pretzel bites into a large dish of your choice. Depending on the size, pretzels and toppings can be layered or spread out. Top with beer cheese sauce, honey mustard, chopped bacon, and scallions. Serve immediately.
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
COPYRIGHT © DOUBLETHESPOONFULS 2021