Cheesy baked stuffed portobello mushrooms filled with chicken sausage and spinach, and full of all the warm fall flavors including thyme, rosemary, and cider.
Servings: 4 mushrooms
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Wipe mushrooms clean with a paper towel, remove stems, and set stems aside. Use a small spoon to carefully remove the gills from the inside of each mushroom. Place on baking sheet and brush on 2 teaspoons olive oil. Place in oven for 5 minutes, remove, blot excess water, carefully flip over, and place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Chop reserved mushroom stems. Add remaining teaspoons olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned, 5-6 minutes. Remove to a plate. Add butter and onion, sautéing over medium heat until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, and crushed red pepper, cooking for an additional minute. Pour in apple cider, marsala, and spinach, simmering until wilted and most of apple cider is evaporated. Stir in reserved chicken sausage.
4. Remove from heat and stir in panko, mascarpone, cheddar, and fontina, stirring until mixture is evenly combined and cheeses are starting to melt. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
5. Fill each mushroom, topping with additional fontina if desired. Bake for 10 minutes, top with additional thyme, and serve immediately.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour