Creamy Gnocchi and Onion Soup with Mushrooms and Pancetta
This warm, satisfying, and perfectly light onion soup with mushrooms is full of hearty ingredients, including gnocchi and kale, sprinkled with crisp pancetta, and served best with cheesy gruyere toasts.
- 4 ounces pancetta
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- crushed red pepper, sprinkle
- 4 tbsp thyme, fresh, plus additional for serving
- 4 ounces sherry
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces gnocchi
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 4 pieces of sourdough bread, sliced
- 1/2 cup gruyere, shredded
- In a large dutch oven, brown pancetta over medium low heat until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. If there's more than 1 tablespoon of grease in the pot discard the rest.
- Add onions, butter, sugar, kosher salt, and black pepper. Stir frequenlty over medium low heat until onions are caramelized, 20-25 minutes.
- Once caramelized, add in garlic, crushed red pepper, and thyme, sautéing for 1 minute until fragrant. Increase the heat to medium, add in sherry, and simmer until reduced by half, 2-3 minutes. Add in chicken broth and Worcestershire, bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, leave for 3-4 minutes until they're golden, then stir and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add gnocchi, milk, kale, and reserved mushrooms to soup, bring to a boil, and simmer for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until gnocchi are cooked and float to the top. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Meanwhile, add 1/8 cup gruyere to each piece of sourdough and toast until bread is golden and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately topped with reserved pancetta and additional thyme, and with gruyere toasts.
COPYRIGHT © DOUBLETHESPOONFULS 2021