Your comforting, classic, childhood grilled cheese with an Italian four-cheese twist!
1. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Using a small brush, brush the outside of each piece of sourdough bread with the olive oil mix.
2. Lay out 2 pieces of the bread with the sides with the olive oil facing down. On each piece, begin layering the cheeses starting with 2 slices of American, followed by 1/4 cup fontina, 1/8 cup parmesan, and 2 ounces fresh mozzarella. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Top with the other pieces of bread, pressing lightly to adhere.
3. Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the sandwiches and cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Once golden, use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwiches and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
4. Cover the pan and continue cooking for 2-4 minutes to ensure the cheese is completely melted.
5. Remove from the pan, slice, and serve immediately. Enjoy preferably with an arugula salad or some tomato soup!