French Onion Burger
A beef burger, caramelized onions, cremini mushrooms, a little bit of bourbon (believe it or not), fresh arugula, and some dijon mustard all in between a brioche bun make for the best french onion burger!
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 8 ounce angus beef patties
- 2 slices of gruyere cheese
- 2 brioche buns
- 1 cup arugula
- dijon mustard, optional
- In a medium skillet over low heat, melt butter and add onions to skillet. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally or until caramelized.
- Add bourbon and cook, stirring for an additional minute. Stir in fresh thyme.
- In a separate skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add mushrooms to skillet. Leave, without stirring, to allow mushrooms to brown for 3-4 minutes. After, stir and continue cooking until evenly browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef patties and cook approximately 4-5 minutes each side for medium or cooked to desired doneness. During final two minutes of cooking, top each patty with sliced gruyere.
- Toast brioche buns until lightly toasted.
- Place each patty on the bottom buns and then add mushrooms, caramelized onions, and arugula on top of each patty. Spread dijon mustard on the inside of top buns if desired. Place top buns on top of each and enjoy!
COPYRIGHT © DOUBLETHESPOONFULS 2021