An easier than expected homemade fall pumpkin ravioli filled pasta in a brown butter sauce with sage- the warmest autumn dinner recipe.
1. Put flour in bowl of stand mixer. Make a well and crack the eggs into the well. Mix eggs into flour using a fork. Using the dough hook attachment of a stand mixer, knead dough for 5-6 minutes, sprinkling in water if dry.
2. Remove dough from bowl and knead by hand for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Set on counter and cover with bowl. Let rest for 30 minutes while you prepare filling.
1. Combine pumpkin puree, parmesan, thyme, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Set in fridge until ready to use.
2. When pasta has rested for 30 minutes, set on lightly floured surface and cut into 4 pieces. Take one piece and flatten it with your hand. Dust it with flour and feed it through the widest setting of a pasta maker attachment for a stand mixer. Feed it through once more on this setting. Increase the setting and feed it through twice. Repeat until the setting is on 4 and the pasta dough has been run through 8 times. Lay each piece out on a lightly floured work surface.
3. Beat the additional egg in a small bowl with splash of water. Brush one of the pieces of dough with the egg wash.
4. Using either a spoon or adding filling to a pastry bag with no tip, spoon or pipe tablespoon sized amounts of filling 4 inches apart on the piece of dough with the egg wash. Lay another piece of dough gently over and press down around each circle of filling to enclose it and seal the edges. Use a knife or a pastry wheel to cut the edges of each ravioli. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat using the 2 remaining pieces of dough, saving the remaining filling to add to the sauce.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil why you make the sauce.
1. Melt butter in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add sage leaves and stir frequently until butter begins to brown and golden flakes form at the bottom of the skillet. Remove the sage leaves to a plate and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat to low. Whisk in 4 tablespoons remaining pumpkin filling, chicken broth, and balsamic vinegar until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Add ravioli to salted boiling water and cook, stirring occassionally, until they float to the top, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Drain and add to brown butter sage sauce, gently tossing to coat. Serve immediately, topped with parmesan and reserved sage leaves.