The simplest, healthy, roasted garlic sauce, brightened up with the greenest kale tortellini.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Chop ends off of heads of garlic and peel outer layers, leaving enough to keep cloves intact. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
3. Place on baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Roast for 35-45 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil and set aside another bowl filled with ice water. Add kale to boiling water and stir for 1-2 minutes until kale turns bright green and wilts. Remove from pot and place in ice water. Drain and using a paper towel, pat kale dry.
5. Take heads of garlic and squeeze out approximately 8 cloves. Add cloves, kale, lemon juice, kosher salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, grated parmesan, and 1/4 cup water to blender. Blend until smooth, adding additional water if needed. Pour sauce into a large bowl and set aside.
6. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, drain tortellini, and immediately add to large bowl with sauce. Stir until tortellini are coated in sauce, adding reserved pasta water to thin sauce if needed.
7. Top with additional parmesan and black pepper, and lemon zest if desired, and serve immediately.