A sausage and broccolini flatbread with a kick! The perfect blend of spices, freshly topped with broccolini.
1. In a small bowl, combine warm (not hot) water, yeast, and sugar. Place in a warm spot and allow the yeast to bloom, about 15 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add the olive oil and yeast mixture and stir to combine. If you are using a mixer, use the dough hook attachment and knead the dough for 5-6 minutes, as it pulls away from the side of the bowl. If you are not using a mixer, you can also lightly flour your work surface and knead the dough by hand until smooth.
3. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for approximately 1 hour.
1. Add freshly ground pork, granulated onion, garlic powder, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, fennel seed, paprika, salt, and black pepper to a large bowl and mix spices into the ground pork.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add sausage to skillet and cook until browned and cooked through.
1. Heat crushed red pepper and olive oil on the stove in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Heat for approximately 5 minutes, being careful not to burn crushed red pepper flakes.
1. Boil water in a saucepan on the stovetop. Place broccolini in boiling water for approximately 4-5 minutes.
2. Remove broccolini from water and submerge in ice bath to cool for approximately 1-2 minutes or until cold. Remove from water and dry thoroughly.
1. Once the dough is done rising, place it on a floured surface and stretch it into an oval or rectangular shape.
2. Brush dough with olive oil on one side. Place dough on gas grill (or if you prefer on a grill pan on the stovetop) on high for approximately 2-3 minutes with olive oil side face down. Brush side that is facing up with olive oil and flip the dough and cook that side for 2-3 minutes as well.
3. After, place dough on a greased baking sheet and layer the toppings starting with almost all of the cheese (around 1/3 cup), then sausage, then broccolini, and finish with the remainder of the cheese.
4. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes.
5. Sprinkle on crushed red pepper and drizzle with chili oil. Cut into 8 equal size pieces. Enjoy!
You can save any extra or remaining chili oil for your next flatbread or pizza. It will give that extra kick to any lunch or dinner!