I have always loved the idea of mug cakes. The thought of an individual little cake, loaded up with all the fix-ins, all in a little mug just sounds amazing to me. It's the perfect individual sized snack (or meal for that matter). Being able to make it in just 8 minutes is just the cherry on top for this peanut butter banana mug cake! Also, you just can't beat the signature peanut butter and banana combo.
This mug cake can be made for a sweet and special breakfast or brunch, or just for a tasty, filling mid-day snack. It's 100% one of my new go-to recipes for when I need something filling and don't have a lot of time to make anything. It's also the perfect recipe for when you have those bananas that are far too over ripe to eat on their own- enter this mug cake!
As for banana bread and muffins as well, the key to making your mug cake sweet and moist is using only ripe (and I mean ripe!) bananas. This way the banana will be able to mash nicely to add to your batter and more importantly it will keep your cake super sweet. Also, if you'd like you can always keep an extra slice or two of banana on the side to top your mug cake with as well.
I will be honest and say that walnuts are not my usual go-to for nuts. However, with the banana and peanut butter combo in this mug cake it was an instant contender, and it definitely does the trick! It adds that extra layer of texture to your mug cake while pairing nicely with the subtle sweet of the banana. I used salted walnuts but plain would work perfectly fine for this recipe as well.
So fluffy! This mug cake will leave you scooping into your mug for more. I love the whipped cream and honey drizzle on top to make it a little sweeter and while you're at it, don't hesitate to throw some more chocolate chips or walnuts on top too!
Peanut butter, banana, walnuts, chocolate chips, and whipped cream all in a mug! The best part- this peanut butter banana mug cake is ready in just 8 minutes.
1. Combine banana, peanut butter, milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract in a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, and cinnamon.
3. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredient mixture. Mix in 1 tbsp chopped walnuts and 1 tbsp mini chocolate chips.
4. Pour batter into a mug and top with ¼ tsp walnuts and ¼ tsp mini chocolate chips. Microwave for 3-4 minutes, pausing in between minutes to ensure that the batter does not overflow over the top of the mug.
5. Let cool and then top with whipped cream and honey drizzle. Add additional mini chocolate chips and chopped walnuts on top if desired as well. Enjoy!
We're so glad you’re here! Have a look around at some of our favorite recipes and stay a while.
Get a fresh delivery of only the goods delivered to your inbox.
Leave a Comment