Growing up, whoopie pies were always a treat for me and my sister. They would occasionally be at the cash register at one of our favorite nearby stores, perfectly individually wrapped, and our mom usually had a hard time saying no to us when we asked for one, as she knew how delicious they were too. Our grandma would also often surprise us with them for dessert when we would go over her house on the weekend. I knew I wanted to try to make our own recipe for this favorite treat of ours, but I also knew I wanted to add an extra something special to them. Enter, the coconut! The coconut in these whoopie pies is the perfect compliment to both the chocolate cake as well as to the fluffy filling.
These whoopie pies are mini! As I've expressed before when describing my love for mini chocolate chips, I believe that mini anything when it comes to tasty treats and desserts is better. Plus it's an excuse to be able to keep reaching for more because of the delectable, mini size!
They wouldn't be mini chocolate coconut whoopie pies without a hefty serving of coconut! Shredded coconut is perfect for this recipe to mix into the filling so you still have some decent sized flakes in there and to sprinkle on top of your mini whoopie pies too. If you're feeling extra daring, try rolling the sides of your whoopie pie in coconut, coating the outside of the filling in the middle with that extra layer! In addition to the shredded coconut, this recipe also has coconut milk which gives a subtle, extra coconut flavor to your filling.
Making the whoopie pies themselves (the cake halves without the filling) could not be easier for these mini whoopie pies. You will combine the dry ingredients excluding the granulated sugar and brown sugar, and then beat and cream together the sugars, butter, eggs, vanilla, and light cream in a separate bowl. Beating the sugar with the butter will help your batter to be creamy, and your cakes to be fluffy. Bake for just 10-12 minutes, and while baking combine ingredients for the filling. Once done baking, let cool and start spreading that filling on!
Spread a generous dollop of filling on the center of half of the whoopie pie cakes and then top with remaining half of cakes. Sprinkle with additional shredded coconut and enjoy!
Chocolate cake with a fluffy, sweet, coconut filling! These mini chocolate coconut whoopie pies are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Servings: 24 whoopie pies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray mini whoopie pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, cream and beat together butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla extract, and light cream. Add to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Pour into greased mini whoopie pie pan and bake for 10-12 minutes.
5. While baking, combine filling ingredients in a small sized mixing bowl.
6. Once done baking, let cool and then spread a dollop (around 1 tablespoon) of the filling on to half of the mini whoopie pie cakes (or halves). Then, top each with the half of the mini whoopie pie cakes remaining. Sprinkle with additional coconut if desired and enjoy!
We're so glad you’re here! Have a look around at some of our favorite recipes and stay a while.
Get a fresh delivery of only the goods delivered to your inbox.
Leave a Comment