As a kid my go-to when ordering a treat from the ice cream truck or snack stand at the pool was an ice cream sandwich. You know those extra big ones with the two chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream in between? Those were my kryptonite as a kid so I thought it was fair that I make an ice cream sandwich now that is a little bit more up to speed with my favorite cookies and ice cream.
These ice cream sandwiches are formed with oatmeal cookies and use the same recipe as the previously made Oatmeal Dried Cranberry Cookies except without the dried cranberries of course. Then for the ice cream, salted caramel is used for this recipe and is the perfect pair to the oatmeal cookies. You get sweet and salty with the oatmeal cookies making these ice cream sandwiches not too sweet.
In my opinion, oatmeal cookies are a classic and the recipe for them could not be easier too, which is just an added plus. They are packed with lots of oats and have those classic brown sugar, cinnamon flavors. They're one of my all time favorites and are extremely underrated in my opinion- especially when it comes to ice cream sandwiches.
Salted caramel ice cream adds that sweet and salty and that extra something to the subtle, classic oatmeal cookie flavor. Don't get me wrong, of course I do also appreciate the classic chocolate chip cookie and vanilla ice cream combination, but this oatmeal-salted caramel combination is something that in my opinion really takes an ice cream sandwich to the next level.
Go ahead and scoop some salted caramel ice cream in between those oatmeal cookies! This is my favorite cookie-ice cream pairing and I hope you love it as much as I do! You might also want to grab some caramel on the side so you can drizzle some on top of your ice cream sandwich if necessary. I mean, I would fully support that of course. As always grab a glass of milk and enjoy!
Two extra large scoops of salted caramel ice cream sandwiched in between two (also extra large) oatmeal cookies. A true summer time oatmeal cookie salted caramel ice cream sandwiches dessert classic!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat butter, sugars, and vanilla extract. Add eggs and beat to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and then add to butter mixture.
4. Add and fold in honey and oats.
5. Place tablespoon sized rounds, approximately 16, on an ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
6. After baking, move to a wire rack and let cool.
7. Scoop 1-2 scoops of salted caramel ice cream or gelato in between two oatmeal cookies, forming approximately 8 ice cream sandwiches in total.
Store leftover ice cream sandwiches in the freezer.
We're so glad you’re here! Have a look around at some of our favorite recipes and stay a while.
Get a fresh delivery of only the goods delivered to your inbox.
Leave a Comment